Thursday, January 28, 2010

Evolution of a Painting


Winter continues in Garrett County Maryland.  It is a great time of year to go to my studio.  So I have been in the studio a lot lately.   I thought it would be kind of fun to explain how I actually go about making a painting.
The process of making a painting is fairly consistant for me.   I begin with an idea, then I find some reference photos, next start drawing.   The drawings are always small.   I am not concerned about color at this point.  I am concerned about shapes and values (light to dark).   In the case of this small painting I did 2 drawings  The first has a high horizon line, therefore giving me a large foreground to figure out, and very little sky   The second drawing has the same farm except the horizon line is low on the paper , which leave a large sky shape.   I have chosen the second drawing to paint.    I will probably do the other one, but not yet. 
So here are the 2 drawings and the small painting.





No comments:

Post a Comment