Sunday, January 10, 2010

Saville Gallery Reception



The art of Lynn Lais and Merrill Smith is currently being featured at the Saville Gallery at the Allegany Arts Council in Cumberland Maryland.   I have known Lynn for several years and admire his pottery.  We own several pieces of his and often use them.   I was curious to see what he would put in the Saville.    His work for this show is truly wonderful.   I love some of his  new ( at least to me) forms and , apparently, more recent glazes.  If you enjoy pottery, it is a must see show.

The other artist exhibiting at the Saville is Merrill Smith.   I have not been familiar with Merrill's oil paintings so was blown away by this show.   Not only does he display a large body of work but the variety of subject matter is impressive.  This is a FABULOUS show and worth a trip to Cumberland to see, especially if you are a  fan of oil painting.  I plan to go back to see it on a week day when I can take the time to look at each painting.

I am guessing that many folks are suffering from "cabin fever" because the reception was packed with all kinds of art folks.  My theory was that we all had been housebound for too long and missed each other.  It was great fun to be with our art friends and fans of the arts.   We all certainly had a good time viewing this fine show, chatting with each other, snacking on the nice food and having a little wine.

The Lais/Smith show will be at the Saville until  Feb.8th.  It is worth a trip to the Saville to see it.








No comments:

Post a Comment